PITTSBURGH – A 13-year-old boy who ended up in the hospital after smoking a synthetic form of marijuana has died a month after receiving a double-lung transplant.
Brandon Rice’s aunt told Channel 4 Action News that her nephew passed away at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital on Wednesday night.
Rice injured his lungs in August after smoking a substance known as K2 a synthetic THC, the psychoactive chemical in pot.
When Rice first went into the hospital his father, Raymond, said his son got the fake marijuana, also known as “Spice” from an older friend who bought it at a store in Uniontown.
Shortly after smoking the drug, the teen developed nausea, a full body rash, headaches and high fever. His father said the substance caused a chemical burn in Rice’s lungs.
The teen received a double-lung transplant on September 28. Rice’s aunt said his prognosis was so good, the family had begun sending out e-mails to help raise funds for transplants.
But less than 15 minutes after they sent the e-mails, Rice passed away.
Rice’s parents said they want other teens to know just how dangerous synthetic drugs can be.
Unknown so far, is whether charges have been brought against the providers of the drug.
Funeral arrangements for Rice have not been set. Please pray for the family!
He died this morning, not wednesday night.
Thank you for the correction; I didn’t change it; the date of the tragedy doesn’t seem that relevant. If you’re a family member or friend, my condolences. I prayed for my son for 25 years …. He’s clean and sober now for almost 8 years; my daughter, …. ???